Thursday 31 January 2013

George Couros

Today in class we heard from George Couros, Division Principal of Innovative Teaching and Learning from Alberta. I found a lot of what Alec had to say interesting and also found it to be very useful information that we can use in the future.

One of the first things he talked about was our digital footprint, which is always good to remember. Although I have heard many people talk about making sure that we don't have anything negative attached to our name when it's googled, I had never thought about making sure that I have positive educational attachments to my name when I am searched. I appreciate the point that he made and I will make sure now that I keep myself up to date with this so that when the time comes for an interview, a principal will see that I would be an asset to their school. 


"You don't need to be an expert on teaching, you need to be an expert on learning". My guess is that I 'm not the only one who will repost this quote that George gave us. I think this will be good to keep in mind- I want to make sure that I keep my students engaged and passionate about what they are learning in my classroom. We might all graduate and have all of the know-how's on grading and multi-level intelligences but if we don't help our students build and understand their passions then what is it all for?


It's also nice to hear first hand from a principal the "do's and don't" when we become teachers. I will make sure that I am a "school" teacher and not just a "classroom" teacher. Principals want to see that we are a valuable employee and that we care to build relationships with all students in our school, not just our own classrooms. 


I appreciate George taking the time to talk to us today- hopefully taking what he said into account will help me get my first job next year!


6 comments:

  1. I loved his comment on "You don't need to be an expert on teaching, you need to be an expert on learning." This is a great quote because teaching is a never ending learning process. In order to keep on top of changing curriculum, current topics and new technologies. We are in a career where we are forever learners. I love that about this profession because there is always new knowledge to be gained.

    Jen Falk
    "Teach long and prosper"- Star Trek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Jen, we should never stop learning to be better teachers. Graduating with a degree in education does not mean we have all the answers. There will be so much more to learn, and as you pointed out, changes in curriculum, technologies and education trends will keep us on our toes. I also love the "lifelong learning" aspect of teaching. Life as a teacher will never be boring!

      Delete
  2. I agree fully with being a school teacher, not just a classroom teacher. It is good to set a good base relationship with the younger students so when they eventually enter your classroom they know you already, which makes everyone's transition a lot easier. It is also good to keep in touch with the older ones because it will show them that you are still there for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Micki,

    Thanks for your thoughts on what I talked about. What I am hoping is that you keep this up AFTER class as this type of learning will not only help you become a better teacher, but also help you be more marketable.

    Keep up the great work and thank you again :)

    George Couros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Micki, I agree that it was nice to hear the "do's and don'ts" from a principal's perspective. As a leader in the field of education he knows what is currently happening and where things are going. It is good, and useful, advice that we can use to help us be better teachers. My goal as a teacher is to be a constant state of reflecting and learning about teaching, and what I need to change to be a better teacher. It really is all about the students and what we can do to meet their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being an expert on learning is much more important than being an expert on teaching. If I think back, I can pick out those few teachers I had through high school that taught a lesson, and if someone did not understand it after that 30 minutes, "they're just not smart enough". This is where the use of differentiated instruction that we have been taught about will come in handy. We need to make our teaching match the students' learning to ensure success for all.

    ReplyDelete