Thursday 7 February 2013

Twitter

Well I'm happy to say that I finally came across something in ICT class that I had a hot clue how to use-Twitter! I do appreciate everything that I am being introduced to in class, it just feels a touch overwhelming sometimes! But I'm getting there :)

With Twitter I'm on the fence. I prefer Twitter to Facebook on a personal level, I would much prefer to cruise through and read everyone's tweets because they seem to at least have a purpose to them. Although lots of times that purpose is only to make people laugh, it's still entertaining!

I started following some fellow educators and although I do feel like it is a good way to connect, I'm not sure how much I like it for education. I saw a few tweets looking for help with unit plans and I can see how that is useful, but it's just not something that I see myself using for education. I would prefer using Pinterest or smart exchange.com to find lesson or unit ideas.

I think part of my reasoning too is that I am fully aware by this point that I need to be conscious of my digital footprint. I know there is nothing inappropriate about me online, and I hope this doesn't sound to anyone like I am not going to be a dedicated teacher, but I just want some online resources to just be for me personally, for fun! Twitter is somewhere that I read all of my friends silly one liners that make me laugh, but now I'm paranoid to have anything connected to me that isn't educational. I look forward to sharing and creating tons of educational stuff online, I just wish I could have a bit of separation sometimes from my personal life.

So that sounded a lot more negative in the end then I meant it to, I didn't mean to come off sounding like Debbie Downer! I do think there are amazing things that we can do online and we have so much more with technology as far as resources go than we could ask for. I feel lucky and look forward to utilizing as many of these as I can in the future!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I think we should take the advice about creating different accounts for different uses. I don't feel like I can freely tweet goofy stuff like I used to as my twitter is now connected with many other educators. (Not that we aren't all human and talk about things other than education, but I just don't feel like it's the appropriate place anymore).

    ReplyDelete