Thursday 7 February 2013

Clarence Fisher

Today we Skyped with Clarence Fisher, a grade 7 teacher from Snow Lake. He talked to us about the connected learner and of the importance of technology in the classroom. I appreciate him taking the time to talk to us about some of the technology in his classroom and how useful it can be. I agree with Clarence that we shouldn't always be taking away the resources that the kids are bringing with them to class. Rather we should be looking at ways that we can incorporate them into our lessons and activities throughout the day!

I liked the example that he gave us about his students working on projects and assignments together online at home. It is nice to hear about how kids can build their own learning communities and I agree with Clarence that it can really create global perspectives for the students. I'm happy that he brought this point up- it reminded me of a great PD that I went to last term. I heard Devon Caldwell talk a few months ago about some amazing things that she is doing with her Kindergarten class in Oak Lake. We actually Skyped in with the little guys and they told us about their friends in New York City that they got to talk to. They learned that they get around their city by using a subway- little 5 year olds talking about transportation in a city that most wouldn't even know exist yet?? (Ok maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get my point!) I know that when I was in Kindergarten my world existed of a town of 1200 people and the "big city" of Brandon that mom and dad would bring us treats from after a shopping trip! It's just amazing to think of how far we've come.

I also agree with Clarence that we need to think of how we can reach out to the kids in our classrooms and one avenue that we need to take is definitely with technology. I think it's important that we connect with them in all of the different ways that we can and using technology that excites them is a big one.

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us today Clarence!

2 comments:

  1. The things teachers are doing with skype is incredible! I know a teacher whose class partners with a class in Jamaica. A lot of the projects in class are designed to share with their Jamaican friends. Having this audience gets the kids excited to work on things that may have felt like a chore if they were just making them for marks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micki, great post! I completely agree that Skype has opened up our everyday lives and our classrooms to great possibilities. For the 4 years my Dad (in the military) was posted away from home in Edmonton and Skype was definitely a daily routine for my family! It is so easy to use and I can see how effective it could be in the classroom as well!

    ReplyDelete