Thursday 28 February 2013

Podcasts

This is the first time that I have ever listened to a Podcast, once again this class has opened a window that I had never considered!

So one that I found that I thought would be good for my upcoming placement was "Today in Canadian History"- which is exactly as it sounds! I'll be teaching grade 6 so it would work out well as a side note for lessons on Canada. There are a lot more out there other than just this one that would also work well for current events in the classroom. 

Since I hadn't really ever considered Podcasts to begin with, I also had never considered them in the classroom. I was coming up short for ideas so I cheated a bit with this one and googled ways that they can be useful and found a ton! These were a few of my favorites that I found...

Explaining/Teaching: If we are teaching a new method to math problems or explaining other types of ideas, we can record ourselves so that students can access the instructions later as well. This would work well for students that don't understand and want to try again at home, but also for students who are absent that day. It could be posted to your class website so it is accessible anywhere the student needs it to be! 

Interviews: I can remember doing interviews as a student and recording all of the information on paper, but why not do it as a podcast now? It would be a good way to know that the student took a professional approach to the interview and didn't just hand someone a list of questions to answer.

Stories: There are lots of books that have accompanying audio, but why not make your own to any book you like for your students? This would be good in earlier years when students are first learning to read. They can put on a set of headphones, listen and follow along with the book in front of them. (You could get fun with this too and get a few people to read different characters in the books). This might also be a good activity for older students to do- let them get a few ready for their young reading buddies!

Once again, a tool that I would never have considered before this course! Thanks for the ideas Mike!

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you found one to go along with your unit you are teaching in your placement! Like you I had never listened to a podcast until I came into this course, but I definitely see the benefits! Love the idea of doing an interview podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of making audio books for reading buddies. It would be great to get kids thinking about tone and expression in their speech and it's always fun to make things for others.

    ReplyDelete